Grieg: Piano Concerto/Incidental Music to 'Peer Gynt'
This much-awaited recording offers keenly idiomatic performances of the most famous works by Grieg, played by the composers own orchestra, the Bergen Philharmonic, and its Chief Conductor, Edward Gardner.
The drama and passion of such favourite pieces as the incidental music to Peer Gynt and the Piano Concerto are superbly captured in surround-sound with exemplary Chandos sound quality. Unlike most existing recordings, offering only the orchestral suites, this disc presents numerous extra excerpts from Peer Gynt, which follow the sequence of Henrik Ibsens dramatic poem, including sections for the unique Norwegian 'Hardanger Fiddle.
Having collaborated with the orchestra on several occasions, Jean-Efflam Bavouzet is the soloist in the Piano Concerto, a piece that stands out as a shining example of a single great thought captured and expressed in music. The power of this conception is evident throughout the concerto in the pianists faithful, yet highly romantic interpretation.
- I Bryllupsgården
- Bruderovet - Ingrids Klage
- Peer Gynt Og Seterjentene
- I Dovregubbens Hall
- Dans Av Dovregubbens Datter
- Åses Død
- Arabisk Dans
- Anitras Dans
- Peer Gynts Serenade
- Solveigs Sang
- Peer Gynts Hjemfart. Stormfull Aften På Havet
- Pinsesalme: Velsignede Morgen
- Solveigs Vuggevise
- I. Allegro Molto Moderato - Animato - Più Lento - Animato - Tranquillo - Tempo I - Animato - Più Lento - Cadenza. Adagio - Presto - Lento - Tempo I...
- II. Adagio - Lento
- III. Allegro Moderato Molto E Marcato - Poco Animato - Poco Più Tranquillo - Tempo I Animato - Meno Allegro - Tempo I - Quasi Presto - Andante...